10 abril 2008

E se formos todos vendedores de seguros?

I am nearly 43. I have a good Honours degree in Mediæval History, and a PhD in Art History, but – despite years of effort – I have had only 4 years of full-time employment, and have never earned more than £19K in that time. I have, however, more than enough experience of the employment services, which are incapable of helping highly qualified and motivated people. (Bring back the Graduate Register!) I want to work in the sectors for which I am qualified: higher and adult education, museums and heritage. Unfortunately, interviews for for academic posts dried up after I turned 30, and museums/heritage now want generic management people, not those who know their subjects. (I've been turned down as "too academic" and "too research-oriented"). I research and write in my own (unpaid) time: my inner life is rich. But in many ways I feel utterly cheated of the career for which I studied. Higher education, too, has been betrayed: dumbed-down and turned into a Gradgrindian sausage-machine.

Comentário de Doc M
University Degress are a Waste of Time
The Independent

2 Comentários:

Blogger Mafarrico disse...

Obrigada, Radagast, por nos incitares a todos ao suicídio...

10 abril, 2008 21:21  
Blogger Radagast disse...

Gosto sempre de animar o dia dos demais. É a vingança da zona industrial da Venda do Pinheiro :-)

10 abril, 2008 23:30  

Enviar um comentário

Subscrever Enviar feedback [Atom]

<< Página inicial